Cleaner Heat Cashback is a £10 million commercial boiler scrappage scheme, offering a financial incentive to small and medium-sized businesses in London to replace their existing, inefficient boiler with a more efficient system helping to cut bills and reduce environmental impact.
The scheme, which is the first of its kind in the UK, will provide between 30 to 40 per cent cashback to SMEs when they replace older, polluting boilers with new, cleaner systems.
If you’re a small business in London and have an older, inefficient heating system you may be eligible for 30 to 40 per cent cashback when you replace it with a new, cleaner system.
Support is available on a first come, first served basis. So apply now to avoid disappointment!
For more information or to apply, visit: www.london.gov.uk/cleaner-heat-cashback
To be eligible for the scheme your business must be:
- based in London (businesses located in London’s Air Quality Focus Areas will be able to claim an additional 5 per cent cashback.)
- a Small or Medium-sized Enterprise (SME)
- one of the following in relation to tenure: a building owner, a tenant with responsibility for building maintenance or a tenant with permission from your landlord
In relation to your current and replacement heating systems, they must meet the following criteria:
- the heating system being replaced must be working, a minimum size of 70 kW and either:
- an existing gas, oil or LPG boiler which is a minimum of 10 years old
- an existing coal or biomass boiler of any age
- replacement heating systems must be:
- a gas or LPG boiler that is at least 90 per cent energy efficient and has NOx emissions of 40mg/KWh or less
- a renewable heating technology (eg heat pump or solar thermal), or a connection to a heat network
Installations must be undertaken by a manufacturer approved installer.
What costs are covered under the scheme?
- Capital costs of new equipment that fulfil requirements
- Capital costs of system ancillaries (except for new radiators/heat emitters, upgraded BMS)
- Removal of old boiler and flue
- Installation of replacement heating & connection to existing heating system (excluding ancillary works such as new radiators or pipework)
- System cleaning, first fill water treatment and recommissioning in line with best practice
- Metering - heat meters (but NOT electricity meters, submeters)
- Heat networks: removal of old boiler including redundant ancillaries, capital costs of Heat Interface Units (HIUs) with integrated controls and their installation, pipework connection to an existing network up to 50m away (but NOT changing of radiators/emitters, heat metering, upgrade of controls/BMS, complete disconnection from gas mains, pipework connection to existing heat network >50m away)
How much can be claimed back on a new commercial heating system?
While the cashback scheme has no set maximum amount per application, those in excess of £70,000 will be more closely assessed.
Applying to the Cleaner Heat Cashback scheme is quick and easy. Applicants should follow the simple, user-friendly online application process at www.london.gov.uk/cleaner-heat-cashback and supply the following information:
- Contact and business details
- Details of current boiler/heating system and energy use
- Details of new boiler/heating system, including quotes from installers approved by the manufacturer of the system you want to install
Applications are assessed within 10 working days. On confirmation of a successful application, the customer will receive a cashback voucher detailing the amount that can be claimed back after installation. Applicants will have six months to redeem this voucher; 12 months if installing a heat pump.
To claim the cashback after payment and installation of the new system, applicants will need to complete a short online survey and submit final documentation. Cashback will be received within five working days of the claim being verified.
Designed to provide a high capacity and reliable solution to a building’s central heating demand, MD is an eco-friendly range of condensing boilers with an efficient pre-mix burner and low NOX and CO emissions that more than meet the replacement criteria for the London Cleaner Heat Cashback scheme.